Today we’re sharing our favourite interesting facts about seaplanes. We’re curated some gems from the very first days of man’s exploration of flight in the late 1800s, through to the golden era of the 1930s when magnificent ‘flying boats’ ruled the world’s airways, right up to present day. No matter where they are in the world seaplanes are a rare and beautiful sight, evoking classic memories from times gone by.
Since the very first seaplane was invented they have captivated the imagination of people around the world, and played an important role in history – particularly in the first and second World Wars. These impressive ‘flying boats’ also opened up a whole new world of international travel, ferrying guests from Britain and the America’s to exotic destinations in the ‘Far East’. Today they’re most commonly used for creating special experiences on scenic flights and tours, as well as for vital search and rescue operations.
Here at Seawings we have three Cessna 208 Caravans in our fleet, which we use for our scenic flights across the Emirates – you can learn more about our planes here.
Here are our top seven interesting facts about seaplanes:
1. The first ever successful powered seaplane flight was completed by Henri Fabre on 28 March 1910. The Frenchman flew his plane known as the ’Gnome Omega-powered Hydravion’.
2. In September 1919, British company Supermarine started operating the first flying-boat service in the world, from Woolston to Le Havre in France.
3. The very first ‘flying boats’ landed on Dubai Creek in the 1930s, this was a stop on the trip through to the ”Far East’.
4. On 18 December 1990, Pilot Tom Casey completed the first round-the-world flight with only water landings using a Cessna 206 seaplane named Liberty.
5. The fastest jet-propelled seaplane is the Convair F2Y Sea Dart, with a top speed of 1328 km per hour.
6. Currently China manufactures the world’s largest seaplane – the AG600 – which was designed to fight forest fires and aid marine rescues. It can rescue up to 50 people on a mission.
7. Seaplane is a term that is used to describe floatplanes and flying boats. A flying boat uses the main body of the craft for floatation, whereas the floatplane uses a set of floats or pontoons to keep itself afloat.
Did you know ?
Today Seawings operates seaplane tours from Dubai Creek, which is the site where the very first Imperial seaplanes landed back in the 1930s. This is one of our favourite most interesting facts about seaplanes! Why not retrace history on your very own seaplane voyage in Dubai
Next time you’re visiting the Emirates come fly with us, enjoy a close look at our Cessna 208 Caravan planes and experience the magic of a seaplane flight for yourself! Our most popular Dubai tours are listed here.
We hope you enjoyed our interesting facts about seaplanes. Do you know any others? Tell us in the comments below!
If you’re looking at seaplane tours in Dubai, yo...
A key part of travelling is planning what you want...
An air tour is the premier thing to do in Dubai, a...
Dubai and Abu Dhabi are by far the most popular de...